Taco Tuesday anyone?! Try these Plant-Powered Taco Bowls for a delicious and colorful meal!
I love all tacos – shrimp tacos, steak tacos, bean tacos, fried fish tacos, you name it! If you’re ever wanting a meat-free taco idea, this walnut and mushroom taco “meat” is TO DIE FOR! Filled with umami so even meat lovers will love these (my husband couldn’t get enough).
Plus, a perfectly spicy cashew sauce? Count me in!
Plant-Powered Taco Bowls
This plant-based taco bowl will please all eaters! A delicious, umami-packed meatless dish that packs nutrition & flavor. Great for meal prep, too!
- Author: Caroline Green, RDN, LD
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 56 minute
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
For the taco bowls:
- 2 cups rice of choice (Mexican, white, or brown work well)
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1–2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes (or 1/2 cup salsa)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 container baby bella mushrooms (or 2 cups)
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 TBSP Tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup water
- Spicy Cashew Sauce (below)
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
For the Spicy Cashew Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for up to 1 hour
- 1 cup water
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 TBSP sriracha
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Cook rice according to package directions. If using microwavable rice to save time, skip to #
- Chop cabbage, avocado, tomatoes, bell pepper, and add to 4-6 serving bowls. Divid black beans among bowls.
- Add olive oil, diced onion, and garlic to a saute pan and cook for ~2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent. While cooking, add mushrooms and drained walnuts to a food processor (or Vitamix), and chop until it resembles a ground meat-like texture (but still with chunks, not pureed).
- Add walnut mushroom “meat” mixture to pan with onions and garlic along with cumin, chili powder, paprika, tomato paste, oregano, Tamari, and water. Cook and stir for ~8 minutes. Once done, divide among bowls.
- Next, create the cashew sauce by adding all sauce ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Drizzle among bowls.
- Top dishes with fresh chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
*want to save time? Use microwavable rice and use packaged taco seasoning in place of the individual seasonings when cooking the ‘meat’.
Keywords: plant based taco bowl, vegan tacos, meatless taco, meal prep taco bowls, healthy taco bowls
I love meal prepping these for work lunches for the week. I need balanced meals to stay focused during the work week, and it leaves room for fun foods and going out to eat during the evenings when I want! A healthy relationship with food involves fun, flexibility, as well as gentle nutrition and wholesome foods to feel good. It never has to be all or nothing.
An easy way to add in some nutrition to your routine is to add in more COLORS. Look at all the beautiful colors in this dish! Colorful ingredients bring nutrients and phytochemicals that help to keep the body healthy and fight disease. Plus, it makes meals pretty, too. 🙂
What are you all cooking this week? Try these Plant-Powered Taco Bowls for something new and fresh on your plate!