Fall is here…and so is this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta!
Delicious, creamy, plant-based flavor the whole family will love!
I absolutely love roasted fall veggies – in this dish we packed in butternut squash, carrot, and onion, which all make this sauce extra savory and nutrient-dense. Then we added in some cashews for creaminess, protein, and healthy fats, and some other ingredients to round out this dish!
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
Creamy, savory, and packed with veggies! This is the ultimate pasta dish for fall. Pair with a nice red wine and have yourself a nice dinner date!
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 1 minute
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: pasta
- 12 oz. pasta of choice
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (or 1 bag of the 32oz. pre-cut butternut squash like from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/8–1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package fresh sage
- red pepper flakes for topping
- shredded parmesan, pecorino, or manchego for topping (*omit for vegan dish)
- crushed walnuts for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add chopped onion, butternut squash, and carrots to a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, and dried thyme. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Next, add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan and add your fresh sage. Heat to medium high heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pan fry for a few minutes, flipping intermittently. Once starting to crisp up, set aside.
- While veggies continue to roast, cook your pasta according to package directions. Remember to save 1 cup of reserved pasta water!
- Once veggies and pasta are done cooking, drain pasta and set back in the pot.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add the 1 cup reserved pasta water, roasted veggies, cashews, tomato paste, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nutritional yeast. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir until mixed well.
- Plate the pasta, and top with fried sage, crumbled walnuts, desired cheese, and any additional seasonings. Enjoy!
Want to add a protein punch? Try using chickpea or lentil pasta, or add in a can of white beans to the sauce!
Want to amp up the flavor? Throw in a TBSP of melted butter into the sauce!
Keywords: vegan pasta, butternut squash pasta sauce, creamy fall pasta, plant-based butternut squash pasta
This vegan butternut squash pasta sauce is the ultimate go-to when I’m wanting something comforting and creamy, but also craving something somewhat light, too! Intuitive eating doesn’t say no to nutritious dishes, it says no to trying to ONLY having nutritious dishes or restricting yourself from fun foods, too.
Love this recipe? Try it in soup form:
Try this Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Fried Sage and Pepitas