Needing a go-to Holiday Appetizer that will make everyone happy? Make this beautiful Charcuterie Board with Maple Candied Walnuts!
There’s nothing quite like a beautiful, yummy meat & cheese board, aka a charcuterie board. You’ll be the favorite guest if you show up to the party with one of these!
How to make an epic Charcuterie Board:
- Meats: I love some prosciutto. And paired with some fruit and cheese? I’m all in. Salami, pepperoni, and prosciutto all work well on charcuterie boards. (Vegan? Try mushroom jerky– homemade or storebought or vegan soy jerky!)
- Cheese: I like to pick at least 1 soft cheese and 1 hard cheese as everyone like different kinds. Brie is one of my favorite soft cheese, and I absolutely love manchego for a firmer cheese. Other great varieties to try: gouda, cheddar, asiago, pepper jack, goat cheese, pecorino romano, you name it! So many options to choose from. I’d recommend getting a few varieties.
- Sweet: To balance out the savory, you’ve gotta have some sweet. Try any type of berry, dates, sliced apple, grapes, dried apricots, figs, or even cookies or dark chocolate. Honey and jam are also a must! Plus, these maple candied walnuts (see recipe below) are the ULTIMATE sweet addition paired with sharp cheese and meat. Delicious!
- Salty: Nuts and olives add a punch of umami flavor and some saltiness! Try any type of nut: marcona almonds, pistachios, pecans, and of course these maple candied walnuts below.
- Crackers and Bread: any kind of cracker works great, as well as pretzel sticks or long bread sticks!
- Garnishes & Spreads: jam (berry jam or bacon jam are popular), mustard, honey, mint leaves, rosemary leaves, thyme. Get creative!
Epic Holiday Appetizer Charcuterie Board
Wow any crowd with a beautiful and delicious charcuterie board! Meat, cheese, fruits, veggies, and nuts to please ALL eaters!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
Meat & Cheese
- 6 oz brie (or other soft cheese)
- 6 oz asiago (or other hard cheese)
- 4–6 oz prosciutto
- 4–6 oz salami
Fruit & Veggies
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup fresh whole strawberries
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried figs (or dates, dried apricots, etc.)
Nuts & Other
- 1 cup Maple Candied Walnuts (see below)
- handful of raw nuts of choice (pistachios, almond, pecans…)
- crackers of choice
- 1 cup green olives
- Choose a cheese board to top with charcuterie. First, add olives to a small dish in the middle.
- Assemble cheese onto the board, then add in fruit and crackers.
- Next, roll up prosciutto and add to the board, as well as the salami.
- Add remaining items to fill in and garnish with rosemary or mint. Serve immediately!
*double the recipe if you’re serving more than just a few people!
Keywords: holiday appetizer charcuterie board
One of the best parts of this Epic Holiday Appetizer Charcuterie Board ? The Candied Maple Walnuts! SO simple to make (takes just 10 minutes!) and they are also a very popular gift to give out to friends, family, neighbors during the holiday season.
Maple Candied Walnuts
These Maple Candied Walnuts are the perfect salty/sweet addition to your charcuterie board. They also make a great holiday gift for family and friends!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 15
- Category: Appetizier
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Next, add maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and simmer for 3 minutes. It should start to bubble and foam.
- Add walnuts to mixture and stir to coat. Let simmer for 2 or 3 additional minutes.
- Pour walnuts onto baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once done, set to cool for about 30 minutes.
Keywords: maple candied walnuts
What would you add to your charcuterie board?